10 Foods to Keep on Hand
Einstein registered dietitian Jacki Dwyer recommends these 10 foods to keep on hand for a simple approach to healthy eating:
1. Romaine lettuce* keeps well in the crisper and ensures a salad every night.
2. Green vegetables* such as broccoli, green beans or green peppers for cooking and to snack on raw.
3. Eggs or egg substitutes* for scrambled eggs or an omelet, or to add protein to a salad.
4. Extra virgin olive oil for cooking and in salad dressings.
5. Vinegar to mix with extra virgin olive oil for salad dressings.
6. Long-grain rice or another grain such as bulgur, barley, quinoa or farro as a side or main dish, or in a casserole.
7. Canned tomatoes preferably low-sodium; excellent for pasta, soups and stews
8. Parmesan cheese* from a block, not grated; for pasta, salads and soups, and in vegetable gratins.
9. Onion for soups, stews and vegetable gratins.
10. Canned chickpeas or black beans for vegetarian main dishes or to add protein to soups, salads and sauces.
*Keep these foods in the refrigerator