Chicken Fajitas Spice Up Your Heart-Healthy Diet
Have some friends over for this fun and easy chicken fajitas recipe. Marinate the chicken earlier in the day and you’ll have a delicious chicken fajitas dinner in minutes.
- 1 1/2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 2 Tbsp canola oil
- 3 Tbsp fresh lime juice
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 Tbsp chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1/8 tsp hot sauce or to taste
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
- 1 large onion sliced
- 1 green bell pepper sliced
- 1 red bell pepper sliced
- 8 whole wheat flour tortillas (8-inch diameter) warm
- 1 avocado pitted, peeled and chopped (optional)
- 1/4 cup chopped tomato (optional)
- With a mallet or rolling pin, flatten chicken breasts to 1/2-inch thickness between 2 sheets of plastic wrap. In a resealable plastic bag, combine the canola oil, lime juice, garlic, cilantro, cumin, onion powder, hot sauce, black pepper and chicken. Seal and shake bag to coat chicken. Marinate in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- Lightly coat a grill rack or a large grill pan with nonstick cooking spray and heat to medium-high heat. Remove chicken from the marinade (discard marinade) and grill chicken until cooked through, about 7 minutes per side. Slice into strips.
- Lightly coat a large skillet with nonstick cooking spray and heat over medium heat until hot. Add onion and bell peppers and sauté until vegetables are softened, about 15 minutes.
- Arrange chicken and vegetables in warm tortillas. Add avocado and tomato, if desired. Wrap tortillas and serve warm.
Serving size: 1 fajita
Saturated Fat: 1g
Copyright 2016-2018 © Baldwin Publishing, Inc. All rights reserved.
Health eCooking® is a registered trademark of Baldwin Publishing, Inc. Cook eKitchen™ is a designated trademark of Baldwin Publishing, Inc. Any duplication or distribution of the information contained herein without the express approval of Baldwin Publishing, Inc. is strictly prohibited.
Date Last Reviewed: February 6, 2017
Editorial Review: Judy Capodanno, Health eCooking Editorial Director, Baldwin Publishing, Inc. Contact Editor
Dietary Review: Jane Schwartz, RD