Einstein Presents: A Heart-Healthy Take on Black Bean Soup
In collaboration with Einstein’s Heart and Vascular team and the American Heart Association, we’re sharing some of our favorite holiday-friendly recipes with a heart-healthy twist.
If you’re looking for a delightful first course for your holiday dinner, look no further. This black bean soup is low on sodium and high in flavor.
- nonstick cooking spray
- 1 medium onion (diced)
- 5-6 cloves (1 Tbsp.) minced garlic
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 jalapeño (chopped)
- 2 16- oz canned, low-sodium black beans (undrained)
- 5-6 fresh tomatoes (diced)
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- chopped, fresh cilantro (optional)
- Spray large pot with cooking spray, over medium-high heat add onion and cook until translucent (5 minutes).
- Add garlic, cumin and jalapeno and cook 1 minute more.
- Add beans to pot
- Add tomatoes and broth bring to a boil and reduce to medium heat
- Remove 1 cup of soup from pot. Add to blender and puree until smooth
- Return puree from blender and add to soup pot
- Bring to a boil for 15 minutes
- Serve topped with chopped fresh cilantro (optional).
Recipe copyright © 2016 American Heart Association.