Four Outdoor Exercises You’ll Love
Have the dark, dreary days of winter made you slack off on your commitment to exercise? Does the thought of another day at the gym or on the treadmill make you want to stay glued to your couch?
If so, dust off your excuses! It’s time to enjoy exercise outside.
Here are four ways to get moving while enjoying some fresh air:
- Enjoy the playground. Feel like a kid again as you go up and down the slide, traverse the monkey bars or pump your legs while on a swing.
- Have a ball. Enjoy a casual catch with your kids or try to perfect your lay-up on the basketball court.
- Get on your bike. There’s nothing like the wind rushing through your hair at the end of a long day. Biking is a low-impact exercise that gets your heart pumping.
- Dust off a racquet. Grab a friend and head to an outdoor court for a game of tennis or pickleball.
Don’t miss out on these benefits associated with exercising outdoors:
- It’s good for your body and mind. Research shows people who exercise outdoors report enjoying their workouts more. Outdoor exercise has been linked to feelings of increased energy and less anger, tension and depression.
- You may exercise more. A study of older adults found those who exercised outdoors completed about 30 minutes more physical activity each week than those who stuck to indoor activity.
Copyright 2018 © Baldwin Publishing, Inc. All rights reserved.
Health eCooking® is a registered trademark of Baldwin Publishing, Inc. Cook eKitchen™ is a designated trademark of Baldwin Publishing, Inc. Any duplication or distribution of the information contained herein without the express approval of Baldwin Publishing, Inc. is strictly prohibited.
Date Last Reviewed: January 19, 2018
Editorial Review: Andrea Cohen, Editorial Director, Baldwin Publishing, Inc. Contact Editor
Medical Review: Andrew P. Overman, DPT, MS, COMT, CSCS