Healthy Fettuccine Alfredo: Rich, But Low-Fat
Here’s a creamy Alfredo sauce that isn’t loaded with fat. This quick, easy pasta recipe makes any meal special. Fettuccine or linguine works best to hold the rich Alfredo sauce.
- 1/2 lb whole grain fettuccine
- 1/2 cup trans fat free margarine
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1/2 cup skim milk
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- 2 Tbsp water
- Black pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup cooked peas
- Prepare fettuccine according to package directions and drain in a colander.
- While fettuccine is cooking, make the Alfredo sauce: In a medium saucepan, melt margarine over medium heat. Add garlic and sauté until slightly golden. Add milk, a little at a time, stirring constantly. Stir in cheese, a little at a time, stirring constantly.
- In a small cup, mix flour with water until smooth. Add to milk mixture. Stir constantly until sauce thickens. When sauce thickens, immediately remove from heat. (If sauce is too thick, add an additional 2 tablespoons milk and stir.)
- Add pepper and peas and stir. Toss cooked pasta with sauce and serve immediately.
Serving size: 1 cup pasta
Saturated Fat: 4g
Copyright 2016-2018 © Baldwin Publishing, Inc. All rights reserved.
Health eCooking® is a registered trademark of Baldwin Publishing, Inc. Cook eKitchen™ is a designated trademark of Baldwin Publishing, Inc. Any duplication or distribution of the information contained herein without the express approval of Baldwin Publishing, Inc. is strictly prohibited.
Date Last Reviewed: February 6, 2017
Editorial Review: Judy Capodanno, Health eCooking Editorial Director, Baldwin Publishing, Inc. Contact Editor
Dietary Review: Jane Schwartz, RD