Healthy Football Party Food: Turkey Sliders with Slaw
These easy turkey sliders are a healthy way to kick off the big game. The red cabbage and cucumber slaw gives the sliders a punch of color and flavor without a lot of extra calories.
- 1 small red cabbage (about 1 lb) leaves diced
- 1 large cucumber sliced in thin rounds
- 1 tsp sugar
- 4 Tbsp white wine vinegar
- 2 tsp olive oil
- Black pepper to taste
- 4 carrots peeled and grated
- 2 stalks lemongrass ends discarded and outer layer peeled, chopped
- 4 scallions thinly sliced
- 1 large garlic clove finely minced
- 1 lb ground turkey breast
- 3/4 tsp ground cumin
- 1 Tbsp sriracha
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 12 slider rolls split
- In a medium bowl, combine the cabbage, cucumber, 1/2 teaspoon of the sugar, 2 tablespoons of the vinegar and the oil. Season with black pepper. Set aside to marinate, stirring occasionally, for at least 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a saucepan, combine the carrots, remaining 1/2 teaspoon sugar, remaining 2 tablespoons vinegar and 1/4 cup water. Bring to a boil over high heat and cook for 30 seconds, or until the sugar has dissolved. Remove from heat and let cool for at least 10 minutes. Drain before using.
- In a medium bowl, combine lemongrass, scallions, garlic, turkey, cumin and sriracha; season with the salt and pepper to taste. Mix gently to combine. Form turkey mixture into twelve 1/2-inch-thick patties.
- Heat a grill to medium-high heat and grill sliders about 5 minutes on each side, or until cooked through. (Alternately, heat 2 teaspoons olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Working in 2 batches, cook patties until golden brown and cooked through, about 5 minutes per side.)
- Serve the burgers in the rolls, topped with the carrots and with the slaw on the side.
Serving size: 1 burger, 1/2 cup cabbage
Saturated Fat: 0g
Copyright 2017-2018 © Baldwin Publishing, Inc. All rights reserved.
Health eCooking® is a registered trademark of Baldwin Publishing, Inc. Cook eKitchen™ is a designated trademark of Baldwin Publishing, Inc. Any duplication or distribution of the information contained herein without the express approval of Baldwin Publishing, Inc. is strictly prohibited.
Date Last Reviewed: December 1, 2017
Editorial Review: Judy Capodanno, Health eCooking Editorial Director, Baldwin Publishing, Inc. Contact Editor
Dietary Review: Jane Schwartz, RD