A Heart-Healthy Treat for Mother’s Day: Eggs Florentine
Treat Mom to a special breakfast in bed with these delicious Eggs Florentine. A healthy twist on eggs Benedict, this vegetarian recipe substitutes sautéed spinach for bacon.
- 1/2 cup spinach leaves
- 3 light multigrain English muffins, halved and toasted
- 1 Tbsp white vinegar
- 6 eggs
- 1/2 cup nonfat buttermilk
- 2 tsp cornstarch
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp trans fat free margarine, melted
- 1 Tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- Lightly coat a skillet with nonstick cooking spray. Add the spinach and cook over medium heat until wilted. Transfer spinach evenly to muffin halves.
- Fill a large skillet with 2 inches of water and the vinegar. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat until the water is consistently but very gently boiling; crack one egg into a small dish and gently pour it into the skillet.
- Repeat with each additional egg, one at a time.
- Simmer for 3 to 5 minutes, or until desired doneness, spooning hot water over the yolks until slightly opaque.
- With a slotted spoon, carefully remove eggs from the water, letting the excess water drain. Place eggs on top of spinach.
- In a heavy medium saucepan, whisk 1/4 cup of the buttermilk, the cornstarch and salt until smooth.
- Whisk in beaten egg and remaining 1/4 cup buttermilk. Cook over low heat, whisking constantly, until the sauce comes to a simmer.
- Cook, whisking, for an additional 15 seconds. Remove from heat and whisk in lemon juice and margarine.
- Spoon hollandaise sauce over eggs. Sprinkle with parsley and serve immediately.
Serving size: 1 egg and 1/2 Tbsp sauce
Saturated Fat: 2g
Copyright 2016-2018 © Baldwin Publishing, Inc. All rights reserved.
Health eCooking® is a registered trademark of Baldwin Publishing, Inc. Cook eKitchen™ is a designated trademark of Baldwin Publishing, Inc. Any duplication or distribution of the information contained herein without the express approval of Baldwin Publishing, Inc. is strictly prohibited.
Date Last Reviewed: February 6, 2017
Editorial Review: Judy Capodanno, Health eCooking Editorial Director, Baldwin Publishing, Inc. Contact Editor
Dietary Review: Jane Schwartz, RD