A Low-Fat Alternative: Grilled Turkey Burger
This burger is so packed with flavor you’ll never miss the beef. Stuffed with mushrooms and topped with Swiss cheese, this turkey meat loaf burger recipe will become a family favorite.
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 4 cups white button mushrooms sliced
- 1 onion chopped
- 3 large garlic cloves minced
- 1 small tomato chopped
- 1 slice of white bread cut into cubes
- 2 eggs
- 2 Tbsp chopped fresh basil leaves
- 2 Tbsp chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 2 lbs lean ground turkey breast
- 2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- Black pepper to taste
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 10 slices reduced-fat Swiss cheese (1 oz each)
- 10 light whole wheat Kaiser rolls (2 oz each)
- In a large saucepan, heat oil over medium heat until hot. Add mushrooms and cook, stirring occasionally, for about 5 minutes, or until browned.
- Add onion, garlic, tomato and bread cubes, and cook until onion is softened and mixture is combined well, about 10 minutes. Transfer to a bowl and chill, covered, for 20 minutes or until completely cooled.
- In a small bowl, combine eggs, basil and parsley, and whisk until beaten well. In a large bowl, combine turkey, egg mixture, mushroom mixture, lemon juice, pepper and salt, and stir to combine well. Form 10 patties, transfer to a plate and chill, covered, for 30 minutes.
- Coat grill rack with nonstick cooking spray and preheat the grill. Grill burgers for 6 minutes with grill lid open. Turn burgers, add a slice of cheese to each burger, and close grill lid. Grill for 6 minutes more, or until meat is no longer pink. Serve on rolls with sliced lettuce, tomato and red onion for garnish, if desired.
Serving size: 1 burger
Saturated Fat: 2g
Copyright 2016-2018 © Baldwin Publishing, Inc. All rights reserved.
Health eCooking® is a registered trademark of Baldwin Publishing, Inc. Cook eKitchen™ is a designated trademark of Baldwin Publishing, Inc. Any duplication or distribution of the information contained herein without the express approval of Baldwin Publishing, Inc. is strictly prohibited.
Date Last Reviewed: February 6, 2017
Editorial Review: Judy Capodanno, Health eCooking Editorial Director, Baldwin Publishing, Inc. Contact Editor
Dietary Review: Jane Schwartz, RD