New Twist on a Favorite Dessert: Strawberry Shortcake Parfaits
Here’s a new twist on an old-fashioned parfait favorite. This healthy recipe for strawberry shortcake parfait is low fat and contains a creamy custard of thick yogurt.
- 1 pt strawberries, hulled, cut into large chunks
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp honey
- 1 cup low-fat Greek vanilla yogurt or low-fat vanilla yogurt*
- 1/4 tsp lemon zest
- 1/2 store-bought angel food cake cubed
- Fresh mint leaves, optional
- In a bowl, toss berries with sugar and honey. Cover and chill for 30 minutes to 1 hour.
- In another bowl, mix yogurt and lemon zest.
- Build shortcakes in parfait glasses or tumblers using a few cubes of angel food cake for bottom layer, followed by 1 tablespoon of strawberries, then 2 tablespoons of yogurt mixture. Repeat process to make another layer. Dollop any leftover yogurt mixture on top, and garnish with fresh mint leaves.
- *Thick Custard-Style Yogurt. If not using Greek yogurt, place a strainer in a medium bowl. Set cheesecloth in strainer and spoon yogurt on top of the cheesecloth. Wrap the cheesecloth over yogurt and refrigerate overnight to create thick custard-style yogurt.
Serving size: 1 parfait
Saturated Fat: 1g
Copyright 2016-2018 © Baldwin Publishing, Inc. All rights reserved.
Health eCooking® is a registered trademark of Baldwin Publishing, Inc. Cook eKitchen™ is a designated trademark of Baldwin Publishing, Inc. Any duplication or distribution of the information contained herein without the express approval of Baldwin Publishing, Inc. is strictly prohibited.
Date Last Reviewed: February 6, 2017
Editorial Review: Judy Capodanno, Health eCooking Editorial Director, Baldwin Publishing, Inc. Contact Editor
Dietary Review: Jane Schwartz, RD