Pumpkin Custards Are Diabetic-Friendly, Heart-Healthy and Gluten-Free
Here’s an easy pumpkin dessert that is under 100 calories. Make this healthy custard any time you want to fill the house with the aroma of fall spices. Serve it warm or chilled.
- 2 eggs
- 3 Tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup canned light coconut milk
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon plus additional for garnish
- 1/8 tsp ground cloves
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 cup canned pumpkin purée
- 1/4 cup light whipped topping
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Bring a saucepan of water to a boil. In a large bowl, beat the eggs lightly. Whisk in the brown sugar, vanilla and coconut milk. Add the salt, spices and pumpkin purée and whisk until well combined (do not overmix). Pour the custard into 6 small oven-safe ramekins.
- Arrange the ramekins in a baking pan with high sides. Place the baking pan in the oven. Carefully add boiling water to the baking pan to come up 2′′ high around the ramekins. Bake for 45 to 60 minutes, or until a knife inserted into the center of the custard comes out clean.
- Serve warm or chilled topped with a small dollop of whipped topping and a sprinkle of cinnamon.
Serving size: about 1/2 cup
Saturated Fat: 2g
Copyright 2016-2017 © All rights reserved.
Health eCooking® is a registered trademark of Baldwin Publishing, Inc. Cook eKitchen™ is a designated trademark of Baldwin Publishing, Inc. Any duplication or distribution of the information contained herein without the express approval of Baldwin Publishing, Inc. is strictly prohibited.
Date Last Reviewed: February 6, 2017
Editorial Review: Judy Capodanno, Health eCooking Editorial Director, Baldwin Publishing, Inc. Contact Editor
No information provided by Baldwin Publishing, Inc. in any article or in any Health eCooking® video, recipe, article and/or other Health eCooking product or service is a substitute for medical advice or treatment for any medical condition. Baldwin Publishing, Inc. strongly suggests that you use this information in consultation with your doctor or other health professional. Use or viewing of any Baldwin Publishing, Inc. article or any Health eCooking® video, recipe, article and/or other Health eCooking product or service signifies your understanding and agreement to the disclaimer and acceptance of these .