A Summer Pairing: Seared Salmon with Blueberries
In this quick recipe, fresh rhubarb gives sweet blueberries a tart punch of flavor. This easy recipe features salmon, but you can use this compote as a topping for any fish, pork, or chicken.
- 2 large stalks rhubarb, trimmed and chopped coarse
- 3 Tbsp sugar
- 1/4 vanilla bean, split, or 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 Tbsp orange zest
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- 4 salmon fillets (about 6 oz each)
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp white pepper
- Make compote: In a large saucepan, combine all compote ingredients except blueberries and bring to a boil over moderate-high heat. Lower heat and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes until rhubarb is tender. Transfer to a bowl and, with a slotted spoon, remove vanilla bean. Fold in blueberries and stir to combine well. Allow compote to rest until it comes to room temperature.
- Coat grill pan with nonstick cooking spray and place over high heat. Season salmon with salt and pepper, and place in pan; lower to moderate heat and cook for 3 to 4 minutes. With a spatula, turn salmon fillets and cook another 3 to 4 minutes, until firm and not opaque. Transfer to a platter and spoon compote over salmon.
Serving size: 6 oz salmon
1/4 cup compote
Saturated Fat: 1g
Copyright 2016-2018 © Baldwin Publishing, Inc. All rights reserved.
Health eCooking® is a registered trademark of Baldwin Publishing, Inc. Cook eKitchen™ is a designated trademark of Baldwin Publishing, Inc. Any duplication or distribution of the information contained herein without the express approval of Baldwin Publishing, Inc. is strictly prohibited.
Date Last Reviewed: February 6, 2017
Editorial Review: Judy Capodanno, Health eCooking Editorial Director, Baldwin Publishing, Inc. Contact Editor
Dietary Review: Jane Schwartz, RD