A Sweet Healthy Treat for the Holidays: Sweet Potato Pie
Southern sweet potato pie is a perfect holiday recipe that can be made ahead. Made with less sugar and fewer eggs than traditional sweet potato pie, this easy recipe is light, creamy and delicious.
- 3 Tbsp trans fat free margarine
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 large egg yolk
- 3 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp grated lemon zest plus additional for garnish
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 3 large sweet potatoes (1 1/2 lbs) cooked, peeled and mashed
- 1 cup fat free evaporated milk
- 3 large egg whites
- 1 prepared 9- inch pie shell unbaked
- 1/4 cup fat free whipped topping optional
- Preheat the oven to 350°. In a large bowl, beat together the margarine, sugar and salt. Add the egg yolk, lemon juice, lemon zest and cinnamon; mix well. Stir in the sweet potatoes and milk and mix to combine well.
- With a hand mixer, beat the egg whites on high speed until stiff peaks form. Fold half of the egg whites into the sweet potato mixture until combined. Fold in the remaining half of the egg whites until combined. Pour the mixture into the pie shell.
- Bake for about 40 to 50 minutes, or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool before serving. Pie can be made 1 day in advance and kept covered and chilled. Serve topped with a dollop of whipped topping and lemon zest for garnish, if desired.
Serving size: 1 slice
Saturated Fat: 0g
Copyright 2017 © All rights reserved.
Health eCooking® is a registered trademark of Baldwin Publishing, Inc. Cook eKitchen™ is a designated trademark of Baldwin Publishing, Inc. Any duplication or distribution of the information contained herein without the express approval of Baldwin Publishing, Inc. is strictly prohibited.
Editorial Review: Judy Capodanno, Health eCooking Editorial Director, Baldwin Publishing, Inc. Contact Editor
No information provided by Baldwin Publishing, Inc. in any article or in any Health eCooking® video, recipe, article and/or other Health eCooking product or service is a substitute for medical advice or treatment for any medical condition. Baldwin Publishing, Inc. strongly suggests that you use this information in consultation with your doctor or other health professional. Use or viewing of any Baldwin Publishing, Inc. article or any Health eCooking® video, recipe, article and/or other Health eCooking product or service signifies your understanding and agreement to the disclaimer and acceptance of these .