These Tasty Gingerbread Men are Heart-Healthy Treats
Decorate these yummy gingerbread men however you’d like. They are sure to run off the plate as soon as you serve them!
- 2 1/4 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sifted whole wheat flour
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- 1 Tbsp ground ginger
- 1 Tbsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground cloves
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) trans fat free margarine
- 1/2 cup dark brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup unsulphured molasses
- In a large bowl, sift together flours, baking soda, ginger, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg and salt. Set aside.
- In another bowl, using a hand mixer, cream together margarine and brown sugar until fluffy. Mix in egg and molasses until combined. Gradually add flour mixture. Divide dough into thirds and wrap tightly in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for about 2 hours, or until firm.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Dust rolling pin lightly with flour; roll out each piece of dough on wax paper until it is about 1/8 inch thick. Dip cookie cutter in flour and use to cut out gingerbread man (or other desired shapes).
- Transfer cookies onto baking sheet. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes until golden brown. With a metal spatula, transfer cookies to a wire rack to cool completely. Store in an airtight container for up to 1 week.
Serving size: 1 cookie
Saturated Fat: 1g
Copyright 2016-2017 © All rights reserved.
Health eCooking® is a registered trademark of Baldwin Publishing, Inc. Cook eKitchen™ is a designated trademark of Baldwin Publishing, Inc. Any duplication or distribution of the information contained herein without the express approval of Baldwin Publishing, Inc. is strictly prohibited.
Date Last Reviewed: June 14, 2017
Editorial Review: Judy Capodanno, Health eCooking Editorial Director, Baldwin Publishing, Inc. Contact Editor
No information provided by Baldwin Publishing, Inc. in any article or in any Health eCooking® video, recipe, article and/or other Health eCooking product or service is a substitute for medical advice or treatment for any medical condition. Baldwin Publishing, Inc. strongly suggests that you use this information in consultation with your doctor or other health professional. Use or viewing of any Baldwin Publishing, Inc. article or any Health eCooking® video, recipe, article and/or other Health eCooking product or service signifies your understanding and agreement to the disclaimer and acceptance of these.