This Yoga Pose Helps Reduce Knee Pain
The Tree Pose is a great yoga move to try if you have knee pain or just want to improve your balance. It’s a simple exercise you can do right at your desk or just about anywhere when you have a few minutes.
To learn how to do this yoga pose, watch the video or follow these instructions:
- Stand with your left side to a wall or desk, with your shoes off and feet parallel.
- Inhale and slowly shift your weight to your left foot, taking your right foot off the floor.
- Exhale and bring the ball of the right foot to your left instep, with the knee pointing away. If you are able, bring the right foot higher up, even to the thigh. If you lose your balance, just keep the right foot at your instep. Remember to keep hips level and take deep breaths. For extra balance, place your left hand on the desk or a wall.
- Bring your right hand to the center of your chest, palm facing the left side. Try bringing your left hand to meet your right, palms pressed gently together. Hold for 5-10 breaths.
- Slowly lower your right leg to floor. Rest for a few breaths then face the other direction and repeat.
If you do the Tree Pose regularly, you should begin to notice improved balance, reduced pain, stronger core muscles and more confidence.
Copyright 2017-2018 © Baldwin Publishing, Inc. All rights reserved.
Health eCooking® is a registered trademark of Baldwin Publishing, Inc. Cook eKitchen™ is a designated trademark of Baldwin Publishing, Inc. Any duplication or distribution of the information contained herein without the express approval of Baldwin Publishing, Inc. is strictly prohibited.
Date Last Reviewed: July 18, 2018
Editorial Review: Andrea Cohen, Editorial Director, Baldwin Publishing, Inc. Contact Editor
Medical Review: Andrew P. Overman, DPT, MS, COMT, CSCS