Festive Seafood Stew
When buying mussels and clams, discard any shells that are completely open. If you tap the shellfish lightly and it closes up, it is okay to use. If you want a meatless stew, omit the chorizo and substitute with a little paprika.
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup diced red bell pepper
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 small shallot, minced
- 1/8 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/3 cup sliced chorizo
- 3 lbs mussels, scrubbed and cleaned
- 1/2 lb littleneck clams or cockle clams
- 3/4 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth (gluten free if needed)
- 1 cup white wine
- 1/2 lb shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1/2 lb cod, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 cup canned white beans, half of the liquid reserved
- 2 Tbsp fresh thyme leaves
- 1/8 tsp salt
- Black pepper to taste
- In a large saucepan, heat olive oil over medium-low heat. Add bell pepper, garlic, shallot, red-pepper flakes and chorizo.
- Cook until the shallot is translucent, about 3 minutes. Add mussels, clams, chicken stock and wine and cook, covered, for 5 minutes, or until shells open.
- Remove mussels and clams, keeping liquid and chorizo in pan.
- Add shrimp, cod, white beans with reserved liquid and thyme.
- Reduce heat to a simmer and cook, covered, for about 5 minutes, or until shrimp are bright orange and cod is white and flaky.
- Remove lid. Return mussels and clams to saucepan. Add salt and black pepper to taste.
- Cook for 2 minutes more. Serve immediately.
Serving size: 1 cup
Calories: 181; Fat: 5g; Saturated Fat: 1g; Cholesterol: 79mg; Sodium: 356mg; Carbohydrates: 10g; Fiber: 3g; Protein: 23g
Copyright 2017-2019 © Baldwin Publishing, Inc. All rights reserved.
Health eCooking® is a registered trademark of Baldwin Publishing, Inc. Cook eKitchen™ is a designated trademark of Baldwin Publishing, Inc. Any duplication or distribution of the information contained herein without the express approval of Baldwin Publishing, Inc. is strictly prohibited.
Date Last Reviewed: November 30, -0001
Editorial Review: Judy Capodanno, Health eCooking Editorial Director, Baldwin Publishing, Inc. Contact Editor