Healthy Football Party Food: Mac and Cheese Bites
Here’s an easy appetizer for your next party. These healthy mac and cheese bites will be a crowd favorite.
- 3/4 cup skim milk
- 3/4 cup nonfat sour cream
- 3 Tbsp trans fat free margarine melted
- 1/2 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 2 cups (8 oz) shredded reduced-fat sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 Tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 4 cups cooked multigrain elbow macaroni (about 2 cups uncooked)
- 1/4 cup dried bread crumbs
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- Hot Sauce (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400°. Line 2 mini muffin pans with 36 liners. Lightly spray the muffin liners with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a saucepan, combine milk, sour cream, margarine, mozzarella, cheddar, mustard, salt and pepper and cook over medium-high heat, stirring, until cheese is melted and a sauce forms.
- In a large bowl, combine cooked macaroni and cheese sauce, stirring gently. Spoon heaping tablespoons of the macaroni and cheese into prepared muffin liners.
- In a small bowl, combine bread crumbs and paprika. Sprinkle mixture over the macaroni and cheese cups.
- Bake in the upper and middle third of the oven for 20 to 25 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and the bites are golden brown. Let cool for at least 5 minutes before serving warm, or serve at room temperature. Serve with hot sauce on the side, if desired.
Serving size: 2 bites
Saturated Fat: 1g
Copyright 2016-2018 © All rights reserved.
Health eCooking® is a registered trademark of Baldwin Publishing, Inc. Cook eKitchen™ is a designated trademark of Baldwin Publishing, Inc. Any duplication or distribution of the information contained herein without the express approval of Baldwin Publishing, Inc. is strictly prohibited.
Date Last Reviewed: February 6, 2017
Editorial Review: Judy Capodanno, Health eCooking Editorial Director, Baldwin Publishing, Inc. Contact Editor
No information provided by Baldwin Publishing, Inc. in any article or in any Health eCooking® video, recipe, article and/or other Health eCooking product or service is a substitute for medical advice or treatment for any medical condition. Baldwin Publishing, Inc. strongly suggests that you use this information in consultation with your doctor or other health professional. Use or viewing of any Baldwin Publishing, Inc. article or any Health eCooking® video, recipe, article and/or other Health eCooking product or service signifies your understanding and agreement to the disclaimer and acceptance of these .