Low-Sodium Barley-Black Bean Salad Is Packed With Flavor
For a different spin on salad, try this low sodium recipe. With very little cholesterol, it packs in flavor with lime juice, Monterey Jack cheese and cilantro.
- 1 cup quick-cooking pearl barley
- 1 can (15 oz) no-salt-added black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 pint grape tomatoes, quartered
- 1 green bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup Monterey jack cheese or pepper jack cheese, cut into 1/4-inch thick cubes
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 Tbsp lime juice
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/8 tsp salt
- Black pepper to taste
- 1/8 tsp crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
Cook barley according to package directions, omitting salt.
Drain barley in a colander, and rinse with cold water until completely cooled.
In a medium bowl, combine remaining ingredients. Add barley to black bean mixture; toss gently. Serve chilled.
Serving size: 3/4 cup
Per Serving: Calories: 250 Fat: 4g; Saturated Fat: 2g; Cholesterol: 8mg; Sodium: 70mg; Carbohydrates: 42g; Fiber: 12g; Protein: 13g.
Copyright 2016-2021 © Baldwin Publishing, Inc. All rights reserved.
Health eCooking® is a registered trademark of Baldwin Publishing, Inc. Cook eKitchen™ is a designated trademark of Baldwin Publishing, Inc. Any duplication or distribution of the information contained herein without the express approval of Baldwin Publishing, Inc. is strictly prohibited.
Date Last Reviewed: February 6, 2017
Editorial Review: Judy Capodanno, Health eCooking Editorial Director, Baldwin Publishing, Inc. Contact Editor
Dietary Review: Jane Schwartz, RD