Red, White and Blue Berry Tart Is an Easy July 4th Treat
A Fourth of July celebration isn’t complete without a patriotic red, white and blue dessert. This crustless star-studded berry tart is easy, light and under 150 calories per serving.
- 1 1/14 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 tsp sugar
- 1/2 cup cold unsalted butter, cut into bits
- 1/4 cup ice water
- 8 oz reduced-fat cream cheese, softened
- 3/4 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 2 Tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 pint fresh blueberries
- 1 pint fresh blackberries
- 1 pint fresh strawberries, halved
- Make the pastry stars: In the bowl of a food processor, combine the flour, salt, and 1/2 teaspoon of the sugar. Add the butter, and process until the mixture resembles coarse meal, about 8 to 10 seconds.
- With the food processor running, add the ice water. Pulse until the dough holds together without getting sticky. If the dough is crumbly, add more ice water, 1 tablespoon at a time until dough holds together when pinched.
- Roll the dough into a ball. Flatten into a disc and wrap in plastic wrap. Transfer to the refrigerator and chill at least 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 350°. On a lightly floured surface, roll out half of the dough into a circle (Reserve the remaining half for another use. Dough may be stored, frozen, up to 1 month.) Cut stars using 1-, 1 1/2- and 2-inch star-shaped cookie cutters. Place 1 inch apart on a large ungreased baking sheet. Brush with water; sprinkle with remaining 1 teaspoon sugar.
- Bake 5 to 7 minutes or until golden brown. Cool 1 minute on cookie sheet. Remove to cooling rack. Cool completely, about 15 minutes.
- Make the tart filling: In a medium bowl, add cream cheese, yogurt, maple syrup and vanilla. Using a hand mixer, blend until the mixture is smooth and there are no lumps.
- Pour the cheesecake mixture into a 9-inch round baking dish and evenly spread to cover the entire bottom with a spatula. Top the tart with fresh berries. Decorate with the pastry stars. Let chill and serve.
- 1/2 cup
Per Serving: Calories: 149 Fat: 7g Saturated Fat: 4g Cholesterol: 20mg Sodium: 670mg Carbohydrates: 16g Fiber: 2g Protein: 4g
Copyright 2020 © Baldwin Publishing, Inc. All rights reserved. Health eCooking® is a registered trademark of Baldwin Publishing, Inc. Cook eKitchen™ is a designated trademark of Baldwin Publishing, Inc. Any duplication or distribution of the information contained herein without the express approval of Baldwin Publishing, Inc. is strictly prohibited.
Date Last Reviewed: March 11, 2020
Editorial Review: Judy Capodanno, Health eCooking Editorial Director, Baldwin Publishing, Inc. Contact Editor
Dietary Review: Jane Schwartz, RD