Welcome Fall With Sweet Potato Tacos
If you’re looking for a vegetarian taco that’s high in protein and fiber but low in fat, try these Sweet Potato Tacos.
- 2 lbs sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 2 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, seeds removed and chopped or 1/4 tsp chili powder
- 2 cans (14 oz each) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 tsp fresh lime juice
- Black pepper to taste
- 8 corn tortillas, warmed
- 1/2 small red onion, chopped
- 2 Tbsp crumbled feta cheese
- 2 Tbsp chopped fresh cilantro
- Preheat oven to 450°. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, toss the sweet potatoes in 1 tablespoon of the olive oil and season with the salt. Arrange the potatoes on the prepared baking sheet and roast for 25 minutes, or until browned, turning halfway through roasting.
- In a large saucepan, heat the remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until it has softened, about 5 to 8 minutes. Add the cumin, chilies, beans and water. Stir, cover and reduce heat to low. Simmer for 5 minutes. Remove from heat, and with a fork, mash up half of the beans. Stir in the lime juice and black pepper to taste and set aside.
- Lay the tortillas on a flat surface. Evenly spread the black beans down the middle of each tortilla and top with sweet potatoes. Garnish with red onion, feta and cilantro.
- 1 taco
Per Serving: Calories: 267 Fat: 5g Saturated Fat: 0g Cholesterol: 0mg Sodium: 144mg Carbohydrates: 46g Fiber: 9g Protein: 9g
Copyright 2019 © Baldwin Publishing, Inc. All rights reserved.
Health eCooking® is a registered trademark of Baldwin Publishing, Inc. Cook eKitchen™ is a designated trademark of Baldwin Publishing, Inc. Any duplication or distribution of the information contained herein without the express approval of Baldwin Publishing, Inc. is strictly prohibited.
Date Last Reviewed: April 8, 2019
Editorial Review: Judy Capodanno, Health eCooking Editorial Director, Baldwin Publishing, Inc. Contact Editor
Dietary Review: Jane Schwartz, RD